I have a list of Weight Lifting Exercises that I know are useful for 200m & 400m runners… I'll just put these exercises here so you can pick which ones would be most helpful. If you have any new exercises that may not be mentioned here then feel free to to add them to the list. I have been doing my own research and find that these ones are the most beneficial.
1. Bench Press (flat, incline, & (decline once every two weeks) (barbell or dumbbell)
2. Military press
1. Upright Row
2. Shoulder Shrug (front and back) (barbell or dumbbell)
Shoulders, Triceps, & Biceps
I am not as concerned with too much upper body lifting, but here are a few suggestions.
Bench Press works the Shoulders and Triceps also.
1. Deltoid lifts (straight and lateral)
2. Tricep Extensions
3. Shoulder Press (I was told this is more specific for body builders)
4. Dumbbell Push Press
5. Dumbbell Arm swings
6. Chin Ups
1. Lat Pull Downs
2. T-bar Rows
I don't really work my lats because I want a forward drive with my arms.
1. Barbell Row (Lying Flat) or Dumbbell Row
2. Incline Bench Pull
1. Straight Leg Dead Lift
2. Good Mornings
3. Hyper Extensions ( Core exercise )
4. Pull Ups
5. Reverse Hypers
Abdominus & Obliques
1. Crunches ( legs raised on swiss ball )
2. Decline Sit Ups & Incline Sit Ups
4. Leg Raises ( hanging bar or hanging chair)
5. Side Hyper Extensions
6. Wood Chop exercises
Have any suggestions? I just do a variety of good core work for abs.
Quadriceps, Hamstrings, & Glutes
2. Squat (Half, Back Sqaut, Jump, & Single Leg Squat) heck any Squats!!!! & box squat…lol
4. Ab/Ad machine Thigh Abductor
5. Lunges(barbell or dumbbell) (standing or walking)
6. Step Ups (barbell or dumbbell)
7. Glute Ham Raise
8. Dead Lift (variations… Standard, Romanian, Snatch Grip, & Straight Leg)
Here are a few exercises that might be helpful but I don't do them: Jump Squats, Partial squats, Reverse hypers, Lat Pull downs, & medicine balls (over head throws).
(I believe these two are most beneficial but I am not too big on doing OL's)
You can also add a few more lifting exercises of a more general nature if you think they are good.
Areas that I feel are highly unneccessary to work: Neck & Forearms
I think if I did all body work that may be fine…but I try to do specific exercises with general lifting exercises seeing how sprinters need specific exercises also.
Other exercises… not recommended until further research can be done…
one reason is that most of them are not free weights
Pec machine, Flys, Weighted Chins, Neck Press, Chest press, Leg Curls, Leg Press, & Leg Extensions.